The kids are on vacation playing in the neighborhood, riding bikes, playing games and looking for quick, easy snacks on the run
August brings us summer barbecues, pool parties and fun gatherings all month long. The kids are on vacation playing in the neighborhood, riding bikes, playing games and looking for quick, easy snacks on the run. Fresh fruits and vegetables are always a great idea.
Here are a handful of tips to keep your summer fresh and healthy:
- Always keep plenty of cut up fruits and veggies in the fridge; carrots, celery, watermelon, sprite melons or any other melon. This will ensure your kids will grab the best snack they can instead of the chips or cookies.
- Set a bowl on the kitchen counter filled with ready-to-eat stone fruit like white nectarines, peaches, pluots, or any other favorites. These are perfect for a quick grab-n-go snack on the way out the door!
- Buy a ready-to-go veggie platter and set it out for the kids… you will be pleasantly surprised how quickly it disappears!
- Prepare a pitcher of water with slices of fresh lemon or lime and slices of fresh cucumber (really!). This is so refreshing and delicious; your kids won’t crave the sugary juice or sodas.
- If you are going to a barbecue, make a side-dish that you can enjoy without feeling guilty. Try making a fresh tropical fruit salad with fresh lychees or some other unusual fruits. Kids love different things and won’t realize they are healthy too!
- Grains like quinoa and faro make great summer salads, too!
Freeze grapes or bananas for a cool treat. You can even dip them in melted chocolate for a real treat.
Melissa’s fresh fruits and vegetables make it easy to stick to the plan for the summer. Getting your 5 – 8 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables plays an important part of your well-being, so it’s best to start now!
Have a great summer.