Red Lentil Soup
By Chef Andrew Faulkner
- 3/4 pound Red Lentils picked over
- 7 cups Water
- 1 cup Onion chopped
- 3 cloves Organic Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric
- 5 Organic Carrots (about 10 ounces) halved lengthwise and sliced thin crosswise
- 1 cup Organic Bell Pepper (use Red Bell Pepper) finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Cilantro packed sprigs washed well spin dry and chopped fine
- 1/4 cup Scallions Greens chopped
- Cayenne to taste
- Cilantro sprigs for garnish
- In a 4-quart saucepan bring lentils and water to a boil and skim froth.
- Stir in onion, garlic, ground coriander, cumin, and turmeric and simmer, partially covered, 15 minutes.
- Stir in carrots and bell pepper and simmer until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Soup may be prepared up to this point 3 days ahead, cooled, uncovered, and chilled, covered.
- Stir in cilantro, scallion greens, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve soup garnished with cilantro sprigs.