Food Safety Coordinator
A California-based produce wholesaler seeks a passionate food safety team member to assist us in food safety initiatives. The ideal candidate is a personable, energetic self-starter and genuinely cares about the produce industry and increasing the consumption of fresh produce.
We are looking for a candidate to influence and build relationships within the company. A team member who can problem-solve through critical thinking will thrive in our environment. If you are a team player that can effectively and thoughtfully communicate, takes ownership, and is self-driven, then this is the job for you. Are you seeking to take on a position in a fast-paced environment that allows themselves to grow personally and professionally? Apply today!
• Assist with food safety daily processes & procedures
• Ensure food safety team is monitoring, verifying, complying and tracking all relevant and required compliance and audit information and records
• Assist with administrator recalls
• Pesticide knowledge
• Knowledge of 3rd-party certifications
• Research and inform team of food safety trends, developments and developing risks
• Communicate and build relationships; collaborate with associates, vendors & customers
• Serve as point of contact for customer and vendor requests for documentation
• Work closely with our vendors to ensure successful receipt of necessary forms, paperwork, insurance, etc.
• Develop written communications for all warehouse employees in English & Spanish
• Create training materials, communications and conduct training sessions
• Develop food safety expertise by attending trainings, conferences, and ongoing reading and researching to enhance organizational food safety knowledge
• Possess a strong understanding of products and their specifications
• Possess good analytical skills
• Bring risk management lens to discussions to protect the organization
• Think outside of the box and beyond the tasks at hand
• Work with finance/accounting to ensure strategic decision making
• Openly share success stories and new ideas, as well as offer solutions to other team members throughout the entire organization
• Service focused mindset and mentality
• Team player with grit
• Willingness to work hard to accomplish professional and organizational goals
• Learn new skills and tasks as needed; continuous improvement through reading, consumer engagement and team collaboration
• Forecast company needs
• Organize and lead warehouse tours for customers
• Other duties as assigned
Essential Skills and Requirements
• Knowledgeable in understanding and proficiently conduct audits/inspections of the following:
• Food Safety Regulatory Compliance: FDA, USDA, State Dept. of Agriculture, Locale Health Department, etc.
• Food Safety Certification: GFSI, GMP, GAP, HACCP, Corporate Social Responsibility, etc.
• Food Certifications: Organic, Kosher, Non-GMO, Gluten Free, etc.
• 4+ years experience and Food Safety/Risk Management subject matter specific education
• Experience in Acrobat and Microsoft Office Suite (strong Excel and Word experience)
• Bi-lingual written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to consistently meet deadlines and work under pressure
• Respectful communicator & people-person
• Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
• Work within a team environment; ability to collaborate
• Provide and receive constructive criticism
• Not afraid of a fast-paced work environment. You can handle multiple projects simultaneously.
• Business-minded and goal-driven
• Creative problem solver and a quick thinker
• Seeking more than just a job, but a real career
• True passion for food and strong familiarity with the wide world of fruits and vegetables.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to HR@melissas.com, including the position you are applying for as the subject line for consideration.