Chef in the Kitchen
Happy New Year!
The New Year is here! Every year, we discover new and better ways to become or stay healthy. One of the latest trends is convenience. With all the prepared food delivery services, you can meal prep, too. The key to successful meal prep is planning.
Start by making a list of the foods you want to eat. Then figure out how much you will need for each meal you plan to prepare. Generally, planning for lunch and dinner in the same prep session will save time and money. Buy a versatile protein like lean chicken that you can prepare in more than one way, buy two or three of your favorite vegetables and add a piece of fresh fruit or a grain and you have a filling, great meal.
After you prepare each ingredient, divide them between your containers, seal and label and you are all set.
Melissa’s brings you simple, healthy and convenient products to help you start your new year on the right foot. Not just produce, but produce enhancers, too. We have spice grinders, microwavable items, ready-to-eat items, salad items and our usual delicious fresh fruits and vegetables.
Most of us vow to eat healthier and start exercising. The new year brings resolutions of all sorts. The most popular New Year’s resolution is to “start a diet” and lose weight. Instead of thinking about a diet, think about a new way of life… this is where meal prep can help, too. Try to eat more whole foods, whole grains and more fresh fruit and vegetables that will satisfy your taste buds, but will also help shed some unwanted pounds without a lot of effort. If you can slowly add more and more fresh items to your food intake, you will be pleasantly surprised and you will feel better, too.
Eating healthy to feel good or eating healthy for taste, fresh fruits and vegetables are the way to go. After heading to the local produce market and buying some delicious fruits and veggies, make sure you don’t just stick a whole melon in the fridge, but you actually take the time to wash, slice and put it in an easy-to-get-to container for snacking. When the kids come home from school or play, they can just grab a healthy snack that is naturally sweet instead of going for the bakery sweets that are high in processed sugars. Set out a plate with carrots and low-fat ranch dip. You will feel so good when it disappears!
Here are some suggestions that will make achieving your “new way of life” simple and delicious…
- Eat five to ten fresh fruits and vegetables every day; Studies prove that you will feel better and stay healthier when you eat fresh fruits and vegetables. Take fruits and vegetables along as a snack instead of "junk food". It's easy and you'll notice a difference. Melissa's makes it easy with so many items to choose from. Our new Clean Snax® are a great on-the-go snack item as well as dried fruit, fresh blood oranges or kumquats! Try them and you will see how easy it can be.
- Eat more whole foods and unprocessed foods; for example, make your own chicken soup instead of buying store bought. This way you can control the salt, fat and other additives.
- Add TOFU to your diet. Tofu is a great substitute instead of meat. Add it to sauces, stir-fries, soups, or make delicious drinks. Tofu can help reduce cholesterol and is high in fiber. Melissa's has several products to make this easy: Soyrizo, Soy Taco, Roasted Soy Nuts and more. Check out our Product Catalog section for all the details.
- Try our line of ready-to-eat steamed vegetables. Use the beans in soups or stews, the beets and artichokes in salads and dips and the baby potatoes are great for side dishes or entrees.
- Substitute meat alternatives for your hot dogs, bacon, ground round, lunchmeat, and more. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the flavor and how these products help reduce your fat intake. Our Soy Ground is delicious!
- Drink 8 glasses of water daily. Try drinking a glass of water before a meal and you will get full faster... and possibly take off a couple pounds without even trying! Keep a water bottle with you, so when you get the urge to snack, take a drink! There are so many delicious flavored waters out there so it will make it even easier! (Just make sure you get the ones that are not carbonated or full of sugar!)
- Walk around the block once or twice a day. This is an excellent habit to get into. You will be surprised at how much better you will feel.
Try making small changes every few weeks and you won’t even miss your old habits! Happy New Year!