This year, Father’s Day is Sunday June 21. Get ready for some fun with dad and a day packed with delicious fresh fruits and vegetables
Father’s Day starts off the grilling season and Melissa’s has plenty of great grilling ideas.
After Father’s Day, celebrate the first month of the summer with our fresh fruits and vegetables; Melissa’s organic fruits and vegetables are a great way to create summer snacks, salads and main dishes. Strive to eat five a day to stay healthy and trim. Substitute Melissa's meat alternatives, like vegetarian soy ground
, hot dogs and burgers to replace regular meat products. All are low fat with no cholesterol and have a great flavor. Use them to create fast, easy and healthy summer dishes.GREEN SALADS
are a must for the summer. Start with your favorite mix of greens; don’t forget about radicchio, spinach
, arugula, and watercress. Our new ready to eat beets
, carrots, and lentils
will make a great addition to your salads, too. Toss greens together with fresh cucumber
wedges and sprouts for a wonderful, light salad. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. For a heavier meal, toss with cold pasta (like linguine or angel hair). Great for picnics and beach outings.
Here are a few general kitchen tips to keep your summer cool....
• Always clean up as you cook. Don’t leave a pile of dishes in the sink until dinner is over.
• Use parchment paper to line cookie sheets and baking pans for easy clean up.
• Use aluminum foil on the bottom of the broiler or oven for easy clean up. Also, foil works great when placed on the bar-b-que grill with several slits.
• When cooking “saucy” dishes, slide a cookie sheet under the pan to prevent spillage in the oven.
• To save time before company comes, partially cook pasta (or vegetables). When ready to serve, drop pasta (or vegetables) in boiling water for remaining cook time (preferable 1-3 minutes), then serve. Dinner is hot and you can still be with your guests.
Create your own great summer meals and strive for five fruits and vegetables every day!