Ring in 2010 with Melissa’s Blackeyed Peas
are a Southern tradition that has made their way throughout the nation. The tradition says that eating blackeyed peas on New Years will bring good luck and prosperity for the coming year. Our convenient steamed, ready-to-eat blackeyed peas make it easy to accommodate this tradition. Try making the easy recipe on the package or create your own favorite dip, soup, stew or casserole. They are even delicious in a cold salad. Melissa’s can help make 2010 a good one!
The New Year is also a popular time when most of us make resolutions to eat healthier, get fit and look better. Melissa’s philosophy is fresh, fresh, fresh! Eating your 5-10 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables daily can help you meet your new year goal. We have hundreds of fresh fruits and vegetables available daily for you to choose from. Choose your favorite and if you don’t know how to prepare it, just check out our recipe section, or e-mail us and we can help! Here are a few New Year tips:
• First and foremost: Portion control is KEY! We can eat just about anything we want, as long as it is in moderation. Keep that in mind on a regular basis, and you will lose some unwanted pounds without even thinking about it.
• Eat five to ten fresh fruits and vegetables every day; Studies prove you will feel better and stay healthier when you eat fresh fruits and vegetables. Take fruits and vegetables along as a snack instead of “junk food”. It’s easy and you’ll notice a difference.
• Add TOFU
to your diet. Tofu is a great protein substitute instead of meat. Add it to sauces, stir fries, soups, or use to make delicious drinks. Tofu can help reduce cholesterol and is high in fiber.
• Substitute meat alternatives for your hot dogs, bacon, ground round, lunchmeat, and more. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at the flavor and how these products help reduce your fat intake.
• Drink 8 glasses of water daily. Try drinking a glass of water before a meal and you will get full faster... and possibly take off a couple of pounds without even trying! Keep a water bottle with you, and when you have the urge to snack, take a drink!
• Walk around the block once a day. This is an excellent habit to get into. You will be surprised at how much better you will feel. Plus, walking can help reduce your cholesterol naturally.
Bring in the New Year with some healthy ideas from Melissa’s. Don’t forget the Blackeyed peas!