Sweet Dumpling Squash Soup
By Melissa’s Corporate Chefs
- 2 Sweet Dumpling Squash or 3 to 4 cups fresh or canned Pumpkin Puree
- 2 quarts Chicken Broth or Chicken Stock (Regular or Sodium Free)
- 1 cup Cream or Skim Milk
- 1 sprig Rosemary
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Ginger fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon Allspice ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Salt and White Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash and dry the squashes; cut in half lengthwise Remove seeds and fibers.
- Place squash halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet.
- Roast until tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and, when cool enough to handle, scoop out the pulp and set aside.
- You should have about 3½ to 4 cups pulp.
- In a large soup pot or stockpot, thoroughly combine the chicken stock and squash pulp.
- Stir in the heavy cream or skim milk, rosemary, bay leaf and ginger.
- Cook about ½ hour over medium heat to allow flavors to develop.
- If a thicker consistency is desired, simmer about 15 to 20 minutes longer or until desired consistency is reached.
- Season the soup with ground cloves, allspice, and cinnamon.