Spicy Turban Caribbean Soup
By Chef Ida Rodriguez
- 1 cup Organic Yellow Onion chopped
- 1 clove Organic Garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons Butter or Margarine
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon Hot Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon Allspice ground
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 4 cups Turban Squash peeled cubed
- 2 cups Chicken cooked cubes
- 3 cups Rice cooked
- 1 sprig Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Hot Red Pepper Flakes for garnish (optional)
- Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Cook onion and garlic in butter in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add bay leaf, pepper flakes, coriander, allspice, salt, black pepper and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil; simmer, covered, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add squash; simmer, covered, 10 to 15 minutes, or until squash is tender but still slightly firm.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Reserve 1 cup squash cubes; purée remaining mixture.
- Return reserved squash and puréed mixture to saucepan.
- Stir in chicken cubes; cook until thoroughly heated.
- Serve soup topped with hot rice.
- Garnish with cilantro and pepper flakes, if desired.