Soup of Pureed Cardoni
By Melissa’s Corporate Chefs
- 2 pounds Melissa's Cardoni
- 4 cups Veal Stock (or beef broth)
- 4 cups Water
- 4 small Shallots sliced
- sprigs parsley - to your liking
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander Seeds roughly crushed
- 6 tablespoons White Rice (medium or short-grained)
- Salt and Pepper to your taste
- Lemon Juice to your taste
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Almonds (toasted) thinly slivered
- If the bunch of cardoni is large, divide it lengthwise to obtain the amount needed; rub the cut side with lemon.
- Cut off base and leaves, rinse stalks well, and cut crosswise into 1-2-inch slices.
- Cover with cold water; bring to a boil, then drain (to remove bitterness).
- Add stock, water, shallots, parsley, coriander, and rice to the cardoni.
- Simmer, partly covered, until tender about 45 minutes.
- Puree mixture very thoroughly in a processor or blender in batches.
- Strain through a sieve.
- Return to pot. Season with salt, white pepper, and lemon juice to taste.
- Reheat gently.
- Turn off heat, stir in the butter.
- Ladle into heated bowls and sprinkle with almonds.