Sopa De Chayote (Chayote Soup)
By Chef Aaron Sanchez
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium White Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Organic Garlic chopped
- 1 Jalapeno Chile chopped
- 1/2 Fennel Bulb cored and sliced
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Seed
- 3 Chayote Squash halved rinsed and chopped (see Note at the end of recipe)
- 1 quart Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup Cilantro coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Coat a stockpot with the oil and place over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, fennel, and fennel seed.
- Cook for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the chayotes, stirring to incorporate.
- Pour in the broth and simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered, until the chayote is tender.
- Remove from the heat.
- Working in batches, puree the soup and cilantro together in a blender or food processor.
- Return the pureed soup to the pot off the heat.
- Stir the cream into the hot soup to lighten it and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To prepare chayotes, remove the waxy skin with a vegetable peeler under running water. Halve the chayote lengthwise, scoop out the soft pit with a spoon, and cut into chunks. Wash your hands to remove the sticky film.
- Used 6 servings; used 1/2 teaspoon salt; used 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper