Zovâ™s Favorite Potato Salad
By Chef Zov Karamardian
- 2 pounds Organic Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes or Ruby Gold, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup Organic Lemon juice
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil (see Cook'sNotes)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Salt plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon Mint crushed & dried
- 1/3 cup Organic Green Onions finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Red Onion finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon Mint fresh & finely chopped
- Mint Sprigs for garnish
- Fill a large pot with enough water to come 2 inches up the sides of the pot.
- Place a steamer basket in the pot.
- Cover the pot and bring the water to a boil.
- Place the potatoes in the basket and steam until they are just tender, stirring after the first 4 minutes (about 8 minutes total).
- Remove the potatoes from the pot.
- Meanwhile, whisk the lemon juice, oil, 2 Â˝ teaspoons of salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, and dried mint in a large bowl to blend.
- Add the drained hot potatoes and toss to coat.
- Add green onions, red onions and chopped fresh mint.
- Toss gently to combine.
- Set the salad aside until it is room temperature, tossing occasionally.
- Season the salad to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish the salad with fresh mint sprigs and serve.
- Chefâ€™s Notes:
- This salad is very simple to put together, but there are keys within the steps to making it great. First of all, the potatoes must be warm when tossed with the other ingredients, and there must be an equal balance of salt and lemon juice. Be sure to use a good-quality extra-virgin olive oil, as it will impart a significant flavor. Donâ€™t worry if the salad looks too moist, the warm potatoes will absorb the lemon juice and oil. Season the salad again just before serving, since the potatoes absorb the salt and seasonings as they cool.