Warm Pasta Salad with Peppers, Tomatoes and Purple Basil
By Chef Deborah Madison
- 6 ounces Cherry Tomato or Grape Tomatoes halved or quartered
- 6 ounces Yellow Pear Tomato halved
- 1/2 cup Thyme Parsley Basil and/or Marjoram finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers - (small) rinsed
- 3 tablespoons Shallots finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups Organic Bell Pepper (Red Yellow and Green) thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Olives (Nicoise or Gaeta) pits removed
- 6 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 lemon peel - (narrow strips) slivered into fine threads
- Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 8 ounces Pasta (Dried) shaped as penne bowtie or corkscrew
- Red Wine Vinegar or Lemon Juice to taste
- 4 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese freshly grated
- Basil (small whole) purple if available - for garnish
- Combine the tomatoes, herbs, capers, shallots, peppers, olives, olive oil and lemon peel in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper, toss, and set aside while you cook the pasta.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a tablespoon of salt.
- Add the pasta and give it a stir so the pieces don't clump together on the bottom of the pot.
- Cook the pasta until al dente (just tender), then drain in a colander, shaking off the excess water.
- Add the hot pasta to the vegetables and herbs, and gently fold everything together with a rubber spatula.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary, adding lemon juice or vinegar to taste if needed.
- Just before serving, garnish with the cheese and basil leaves.
- Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.