- Total Time:
- Recipe By:
- Tom Fraker
- 1/3 up Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 pound Andouille Sausage or Kielbasa Sausage cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 11 ounces blackeyed peas - cooked
- 1 cup Cipolline Onions or Cipolla Onions diced small
- 1 cup Organic Celery diced small
- 1 cup Organic Bell Pepper (use Green Bell Pepper) diced small
- 3 cloves Organic Garlic *Roasted and Minced
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Organic Tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup Organic Parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon My Grinders Coarse Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon My Grinders Rainbow Peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoon File Powder
- 1/3 cup Cold Water
- Tabasco Sauce (if desired) to taste
First you need to make a roux. In a saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour, over medium heat. Whisking constantly, cook until a golden brown roux is formed, about 10 - 15 minutes.
Prepare the blackeyed peas according to the package and set aside. In a large pot, render the sausage, over medium-high heat.
Stir in the onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic and sweat over medium-low heat, until tender.
Thoroughly blend the roux into the sausage and vegetable mixture.
Stir in the chicken broth, tomatoes, parsley, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Dissolve file powder in cold water and add to the gumbo.
Stir in cooked blackeyed peas and heat through. Remove bay leaves and serve in soup bowls with a splash of tabasco, if desired.
- There are no reviews yet for this recipe
Login to review this recipe