- Total Time:
- Recipe By:
- Ida Rodriguez
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup Unsalted Butter (1 1/2 stick) cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Shortening cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons Orange Juice
- 2 tablespoons Dried Tart Cherries Coarsely chopped (may be substituted with other Dried Cherries)
- 2 tablespoons Dried Apricots Finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dried Peaches Finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Orange Juice
- 2 1/2 pounds Organic Apples (Golden delicious apples peeled,cored and thinly sliced)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter (1/2 stick) Melted
- 1 tablespoon orange peel - grated
Combine flour, sugar and salt in large bowl; add butter. Using fingertips, rub in butter until pieces range in size from rice grains to peas. Add shortening; rub in until pieces are size of small peas. Sprinkle 5 tablespoons juice over mixture, tossing gently with fork to blend. Continue adding enough juice 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork, to form moist clumps. Gather dough into ball; divide into 2 parts, 1 slightly larger than the other. Flatten dough onto disks. Wrap in plastic; chill 1 1/2 hours or up to 1 day.
Mix cherries, apricots, peaches and orange juice in large bowl. Let stand 30 minutes. Mix in apples, flour, cinnamon and cardamom; then mix in honey, butter and orange peel.
Position rack in bottom third of oven, and preheat to 425°F. Roll out larger dough disk on lightly floured surface to 13-inch round. Transfer dough to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch. Roll out second dough disk on lightly floured surface to 12-inch round. Using fluted pastry wheel or knife, cut dough into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Spoon filling into bottom crust. Arrange 6 pastry strips evenly atop filling. Arrange 6 more strips at right angles, forming lattice. Fold under ends of strips with overhanging dough. Crimp crust edge decoratively.
In 425°F, bake pie 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake until apples are tender and juices bubble thickly around edge, about 1 hour 10 minutes longer. Transfer pie to rack. Cool 1 hour.
- There are no reviews yet for this recipe
Login to review this recipe